Thursday, September 6, 2012

Irving Penn On What Makes a Good Photograph



"A good photograph is one that communicates a fact, touches the heart, and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it; it is in one word, effective." -Irving Penn

The iconic shot above is one of my favorites from commercial photographer, Irving Penn. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it left me as a changed person the first time I saw it, but it did burn itself into my memory, which is a sure sign of a good photograph in my opinion. One that's unforgettable. 


I also love this quote. It pushes me to be a better photographer, because I know that very few -- if any -- of my photographs have left somebody a changed person for having seen them. 

What makes a good photograph in your opinion? What makes a good photographer, a good photographer?   

No comments: