Friday, October 14, 2011

Branded

A couple of weeks ago (Sept 30th) was ten years to the day since I moved to Atlanta to start the photography program at The Creative Circus, so that afternoon I celebrated the occasion by getting my first tattoo -- my logo in the center of my back just below my neckline. It's been an idea I've had in my head for a few years now. My life has revolved around that logo since I moved here -- it has been about photography. I've experienced so many great things, yet sacrificed so much over that logo. It feels like it is as much a part of me as my eyes, hands or feet are:

Click to view the image larger.



My friend and very talented designer from The Circus, Bryan Voliton, designed the logo for me as I was about to graduate in 2003. His concept behind it played off me being a country boy -- my nickname those days at school was "Kountry Keith" -- country with a "K". The logo itself is an abstract camera with a "K" in the lens -- designed to look like a brand you would see on cattle. Well, now it's a brand on me. I had Shay Cannon who owns Liberty Tattoo here in Atlanta do it for me. I met Shay and the other guys that worked at his recently opened tattoo shop back when I was doing a school project in 4th quarter -- "People on Ponce". I met some really cool and interesting people through that project, and Shay was one of them.  I have a huge amount of respect for tattoo artist and some of the work they do. I love just watching them work, and have avoided getting any tattoo's up till now out of fear of becoming addicted to them. I have a feeling this one will not be my last. The shot above is a self-portrait of me, branded with  a symbol of what I will always be -- a photographer.    

No comments: